You have come to the idea that you want to remodel your kitchen. What is your next step? Many homeowners do not know where to go from here, so they fall into two categories. There are many homeowners who begin by looking at photos of kitchens, while there are others who begin by looking at kitchen appliances. Most homeowners will be in this stage of exploration for more than a year before they even begin thinking about hiring a contractor or kitchen designer.
Once you are sure that you want to remodel your kitchen, you may still be lost at where to actually begin. We are going to go over the steps needed to successfully remodel a kitchen. Reading the steps below will help you move along the process more efficient.
Step 1: How Is Your Kitchen Used?
The first step that you should do, is think about how you actually use your kitchen. You will want to find a layout that fits the lifestyle of your household. You can get a general idea by looking at magazines, books, showrooms, and photos of kitchens.
Will you need an addition? You should be thinking about how many people will be using the kitchen and if they’ll have enough room to move around. If you think you’ll have enough room, you should be able to use your existing footprint of your kitchen.
If you haven’t done so, be sure to have photos of features that you want to have in your kitchen. This can be used as your design concept, so you have a general idea of what you want to do for your remodeling.
Step 2: Kitchen Remodeling Costs
It is not uncommon for homeowners not to know how much everything should cost. It is actually one of the first questions that homeowners usually
To get a general idea, a basic kitchen remodel typically cost between $20,000-$30,000 when it is done by a professional constructor and designers.ask. The truth is, price can vary a lot dependent of what the homeowner may need. Some variables that can affect price are the repairs clients may need, the appliances and cabinets they may choose, and also deciding if they want to make more space in the kitchen.
A mid to upper range remodel will typically cost around $40,000-$75,000. With a mid to upper range kitchen remodel, you’ll get a total rework of the space, professional style appliances, a custom island, custom cabinetry, designer hardware, wood flooring, stone countertops, and cost of storage.
If you are looking to get a deluxe kitchen remodel it will typically cost around $100,000 or more. A deluxe kitchen remodel will get you everything that’s included in the mid to upper range, plus architectural consistency, rich accessories and materials, top-of-the-line stove, built-in appliances, and beautiful details.
Step 3: Choosing Kitchen Cabinets
One of the first things that you want choose when doing your remodeling is the cabinets. The reason for this is because cabinets will be your biggest
investment for the kitchen. Picking out cabinets can be difficult, but there are a couple things that you should consider when choosing them. Here are a couple things that you should focus on:
- Materials – The most popular choice for home owners is solid wood, but you can get other materials such as stainless steel or metal.
- Door Style – There are many door styles you can choose from and you be sure to find one that fits to your taste. They can either be modern, traditional, our country. You can also get very expensive ones that have a lot of wood detailing.
- Door Mounting – The most common mounting options for cabinets are overlay. There are many more to choose from though.
- Finish – You can either stick with the natural state of the solid wood or have it stained. There are also options of having decorative finishes, such as glazing or distressing the cabinets.
- Hardware – Choosing hardware impacts the look of what your cabinets will look like. You can make them look modern, traditional, or country.
Remodeling your kitchen is a big investment and should be properly prepared. Taking the appropriate steps will ensure that you’ll have a successful remodeling of your kitchen.